Saturday, June 6, 2009

D-Day


Today is the 65th anniversary of the D-Day Invasion.

When I was twelve and again when I was sixteen, I visited the American Cemetery in Normandy. The cemetery sits on a bluff that looks out over the beaches that were the stage for the Allies' invasion of German-occupied France.

I don't remember my first visit very clearly. It was, on the occasion of my second visit with my grandfather, the most humbling experience of my life. It still is.

For anyone who has been to the cemetery, you know that it is a hallowed place, whose magnificence and beauty are overwhelming. Row upon row of crosses and Stars of David stretch as far as the eye can see. In perfect symmetry they serve as headstones and reminders of the sacrifice made by thousands of Americans and other Allied forces for something far greater than themselves.

Remembering what happened June 6, 1944 gives us an opportunity to remember these young men who, to paraphrase Lincoln, laid the ultimate sacrifice upon the altar of freedom. So today, I will take a moment to remember not only the veterans of WWII, but all men and women who serve or have served in the United States Armed Forces.

For all of its problems, it is easy to forget just how special America is. Coming to a place like Uganda serves as a reminder of that. When I meet Ugandans in cafes, restaurants, at the High Court, or on the streets, they often ask about America with a kind of awe that such a place exists. Many of those people I speak with express their desire to visit, if only they could afford it. Some of them tell me they are saving, but that it will take years. That alone is something special; that people will spend, literally, years worth of savings just to travel to a place not because of its physical beauty, but the beauty of its principles. From our government’s ability to have peaceful transitions of power to the fact that most anyone can get a student loan to pay for college, there is something special about America that makes it unique among nations.

Much of that beautiful, principled uniqueness is built upon a foundation of the men and women who have fought and sacrificed for this country. Let us remember them, especially today.

3 comments:

  1. Very well said.

    And it is with travels to countries different from our own that we learn to appreciate the freedoms and opportunities that we have come to take for granted, and the price many have and continue to pay to ensure their continuity for us and others throughout the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you were a senior in high school, you talked about this at MIPC. I heard you also spoke about it at your grandfather's memorial service. I can believe it has been your most humbling experience.

    Thank you for reminding us to remember our fellow citizens who have given so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shane,
    Great to hear from you. I just finally got a chance to read everything. Very interesting and educational for me. Stay safe, continue to learn, and have fun.

    ReplyDelete