Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Time to go Home

This will be my last post from Africa, but I will continue to tell some of the stories from my time here over the next week or two upon my return to the states. I hope you've enjoyed them so far, and that you keep reading.


***

You see people wearing sports jerseys everywhere in Africa. Terrell Owens, Albert Pujols, Scott Rolen (he's big in Tanzania), Brett Favre. I'd seen Miami Hurricanes shorts, Sacramento Kings jerseys, New York Yankees hats, and even an Oregon State Beavers 2004 football t-shirt. But in 66 days here, I hadn't seen a single Seattle sports franchise. Until today.

As I was walking to the internet cafe where I'm typing this to send a few last emails and post one more blog entry, I saw a guy wearing a Seattle Mariners jersey. Number 29. Which was Phil Bradley's number, my favorite player when I first learned what baseball is and began going to Mariners games.

Going to Mariners games at the old Kingdome is one of the first vivid memories I have, and still one of my fondest.

To see that jersey today seemed a fitting end to my time here.

It's time to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment