Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Wheels of Justice Lugayizi


One of the perks of being a judge in Uganda is the car and driver that accompanies the position. Every judge in the High Court has a personal driver to bring him to and from court, to drive him to evening engagements, or even take a clerk of the court to the airport. The car of choice for the courts is a Mitsubishi Pajero, which is an SUV that looks a lot like a Range Rover.

Justice Lugayizi is very generous with this privilege; if any occasion calls for a car, he is quick to offer up its services. I assumed that last Friday when Justice Lugayizi took me and my colleague out to lunch to commemorate the end of our time in the courts would be no different.

Justice Lugayizi’s driver, however, was not available. Every Friday, Justice Lugayizi’s wife employs the car and driver to get her weekly chores done, e.g., go the market, pick up dry cleaning, etc. Whether this constitutes a misappropriation of the vehicle is not for me to decide.

“Can we walk to the restaurant?” I asked Justice Lugayizi.

He chuckled. “Oh no, Shan, we will drive. I have my car.”

Oh.

Led downstairs by Justice Lugayizi’s bodyguard John, we followed Justice L out into the front drive of the courthouse where his car was parked. Let me say that there is something very cool about following a judge who is led by his bodyguard anywhere. It attracts attention in Kampala, and the feeling doesn’t get old—at least it didn’t in the first two months.

In the front drive, John led us to a silver Mercedes-Benz, like the one pictured. I’m not sure of the year or model, but it was in pristine condition. If I’d had my camera, I would have taken a picture of Justice Lugayizi behind the wheel.

That’s right, he drives. Not his bodyguard. John just opens the door and rides shotgun, which is appropriate because he is a bodyguard and carries a weapon at all times.

The last thing that should be noted is that in Uganda, people drive on the opposite side of the road, and steering wheels are on the right side of the car. But Justice Lugayizi’s Benz is an American model, so the steering column is on the left side.

I asked him, “Justice Lugayizi, do you need a special permit or license to drive a car with the wheel on the wrong side?”

“No, Shan. But even if you did, I am a judge. They would not do anything to me.” Then he laughed. He was joking. But not really.

Because that’s how he rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment